Thursday, April 28, 2011

Giving Out Complements...

  When is it appropriate to give someone a compliment?  ALL THE TIME!!!  We, as a society, have become very selfish..jealous.. and unloving.  Have you ever told a total stranger that they look amazing? That their shoes are "to die for," That their hat looks perfect on their head..and they should buy it?  I am notorious for giving random people compliments.. My waiter, a few months ago, got "You have the prettiest blue eyes I have ever seen"  He then turned bright red and could barley say thank you!! Does he not hear it often?  Or is it because I am a stranger and can point out his great qualities?  I know that when someone I know or don't know tells me that my hair is looking good, how nice I look that day or that I have a nice smile (all random things) that my heart beats faster and I turn red, in shock that someone else would compliment me.  What a good feeling.. my confidence goes up and I am ready to show everyone my great hair that day.. Then there are those days when I think my hair looks amazing and no one says a darn thing... wasted hair? or intimidation? I love making people feel good.. feel loved and told that they are doing something right.
  I had an older man and his wife stop me the other day and say, "you are so organized and so lovely..thank you for working this event."  I was having a hard day and didn't feel good at all...these simple things made my whole day and I had a newly found pep in my step.  Total strangers to me..but their words did not fall on deaf ears, instead made my bad day amazing and my confidence boost.  If each person could say such nice things to another person.. and the concept of "passing it on" continued then this whole world would be so much prettier.. People wouldn't have such doubts about themselves and would feel like they have a worth.  When someone is having a hard day, week or month sometimes another person telling them they are doing something right is the whole difference.
  Give out more compliments.. make a stranger and a loved one feel good this week.  Do you actually look at people or do you look through them?.... Make someone's day.. Not only will they feel good.. you will too.