Thursday, April 21, 2011

where have all the heroes gone?!

  After a great discussion today I have been wondering..Where have all the heroes gone? The good "old boys"? The loyalists?  Have they all gone into hiding...the witness protection program..? I have come to the realization that people won't stand up for their actions.  They make a conscientious decision and then won't fess up to it or admit they made a mistake.  My friend brought up that people won't and can't stand up for the truth anymore because they are not honest with themselves.. WOW, it hit me.. how many people lie to me everyday? How many people won't just admit they are wrong?
  I thought about the movie Tombstone instantly.. the people who stick by their words and actions.  It is an amazing movie, not only because Val Kilmer and Kurt Russell are utter babes, but because they would say something, they carried out their words, didn't have regret and then stood tall when asked to account for their actions.  That time frame in our history is amazing.  Why can't we all be that way? On my journey, throughout this life, I have realized that if I have done something wrong I can take a stand and admit I was wrong and that my actions were not appropriate or acceptable. "Being the bigger person" as some of you put it.  I, also, have realized that lying and saying I didn't do it only makes things harder and you become a liar.  I don't understand where we, as humans, think its "OK" to cheat, lie and steal... Did we not grow up with morals or ethics?  I admit it makes it hard for children to grow up in a society where every single person lies.. every single public figure lies.. every bad choice is deflected upon another person because why take the fall when "jimmy" over there can.
  I stood there with my coworkers and friends and realized many people around me do the same thing.  I can tell you I am wrong, I will tell you I have lied, and that I am not a perfect person (BY ANY MEANS) but if I do not care for you.. I will tell you instead of being nice to you, then turn around and talk horribly about you to another person...who in turn WILL tell that person I was talking about them negatively. hahah comical that we, as compassionate, intelligent human beings do that.  When someone is late for work, having a bad day or just upset, do you yell at them?  All of us are so different but we don't know what that person just went through. Ask and then actually listen to them.. they might lie but if someone is having a bad day, had a fight with a loved one, woke up with bad news...they will be honest.  What do they have to lose?
  Then that made me think... do people only tell the truth for sympathetic reasons?  No, I know that can't be the only reason.. but it is in some situations.  My point to this is that people should and can stand by their words. They should and can be honest with themselves..maybe a change is needed.  They should and can be honest with everyone.  I know that I need to work on this, just as much as the next person.. but seeing it in light today made it a goal of mine.  My honesty might hurt some people, but it is never my intention to hurt someones feelings.. ever.  My actions might hurt some people, but it is never my plan to make someone upset.  I am working on myself and appreciate all the "good old" boys who wont back down and have dignity.  Even if they are wrong they stand by it and take the punishment.  Those are the people who need to be our role models not people who lie for a living.